Collagen supplements have become very popular in recent years; and for good reasons, because Collagen is the major component of connective tissues that make up several body parts, including tendons, ligaments, skin and muscles. Collagen has many important functions, including providing your skin with structure and strengthening your joints and bones.
In 2020, thanks in part to a growing body of evidence suggesting collagen can improve skin, ease arthritis symptoms, and promote wound healing; but as it’s gotten more popular, there have been concerns about the safety of many formulas out there.
Warning! 46% of Collagen Supplements Selected for Testing Failed In Quality. Find Out Which Products Work!
In-House Research: our goal is to verify the ingredients used in collagen supplements and make sure they are purely natural, high quality and clinically proven. Next, we conduct a survey of customers, test the top brands for label accuracy and gather honest reviews. We list out all the pros and cons of each brand and pick the top 3. Lastly; we want to make sure the companies stand by their products, so we check each brand’s guarantee, delivery time and customer service. Generally speaking, brands that offer a hassle-free 90 to 365 days money back are the ones you can trust.
Learn about collagen benefits and how to choose the right brand below:
- Improves Skin Health – several studies have shown that collagen peptides or supplements containing collagen may help slow the aging of your skin by reducing wrinkles and dryness.
- Boosts Your Immune System – collagen is an immune system booster as it helps build antibodies and has important antiviral properties.
- Helps Relieve Joint Pain – as the amount of collagen in your body decreases as you get older, your risk of developing degenerative joint disorders such as osteoarthritis increases. In a recent study, adults took collagen daily for 70 days had a significant reduction in joint pain and were better able to engage in physical activity than those who did not take it.
- Prevents Bone Loss – Your bones are made mostly of collagen, which gives them structure and helps keep them strong. Consuming collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of bone disorders such as osteoporosis.
- Promotes Heart Health – Collagen provides structure to your arteries, the blood vessels that carry blood from your heart to the rest of your body. Without enough collagen, arteries may become weak and fragile.
- Hair and Nails Health – taking collagen increases the strength of your nails by preventing brittleness. Additionally, it may stimulate your hair and nails to grow longer.
- Promotes Gut health – Many practitioners promote the use of collagen supplements to treat intestinal permeability, or leaky gut syndrome.
- Improves Brain Health – Many experts claim collagen improves mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety.
Collagen Side Effects – Currently, there are not any known risks to taking the top rated collagen supplements.
How to Choose The Right Collagen Brand:
If you are interested in trying collagen, doctors agree that it’s important to choose wisely.
– Contains all five types of collagen I, II, III, V and X (Bovine, Hydrolyzed Chicken, Pure Hydrolyzed Marine Collagen, Eggshell Membrance and Avian Sternum Collagen).
– Made from non-GMO, grass fed, hormone free, and cruelty free sources
– Must be Hydrolyzed for Absorption – collagens are hard to absorb, hydrolyzed collagens have already been partially broken down for easier and faster absorbtion.
– Capsules vs Powder – although choosing between collagen capsule or powder is a matter lifestyle but many consumers have reported collagen in capsule form is more effective and convenient.
Has your brand been third-party tested?
You should never buy supplements that don’t have Certificate of Analysis. The studies should be conducted in labs that are not affiliated with the manufacturer. These labs verify the product for safety and potency. Only buy supplements that are backed by third-party labs and manufactured in an FDA approved facility.
The Result: We tested over 100+ brands of Collagen Supplements in the market in house. We did extensive research on top brands, examined consumer’s reviews and surveyed over 11,571 customers.
Here Are The Top Brands In 2020
#1 PureNature Collagen Ultra
- Essential Ingredients 100% 100%
- Label Accuracy 100% 100%
- Potential Results 99% 99%
- Overall Score 100% 100%
PureNature Collagen Ultra contains 5 types of collagen peptides; with no synthetic ingredients, cheap filler, binders and artificial colors. This brand is a powerful formula that improves your joint health, skin health and works as an immune support booster among many other health benefits. All purchases from PureNature is backed by a 365 days (1 Year) Risk Free 100% Money Back Guarantee. Made in the USA with all-natural Non-GMO, fast dissolving capsules and are made in an FDA registered laboratory that is cGMP certified.
- Risk Free 365 Days Money Back Guarantee
- Easy to swallow capsules
#2 Gives Collagen Complex
- Essential Ingredients 92% 92%
- Label Accuracy 100% 100%
- Potential Results 94% 94%
- Overall Score 94% 94%
PureNature Collagen Ultra contains 5 types of collagen peptides; with no synthetic ingredients, cheap filler, binders and artificial colors. Made in the USA with all-natural, and are made in an FDA registered laboratory that is cGMP certified.
#3 Multi Collagen
- Essential Ingredients 88% 88%
- Label Accuracy 100% 100%
- Potential Results 91% 91%
- Overall Score 93% 93%
Multi Collagen contains 5 types of collagen peptides; with no synthetic ingredients, cheap filler, binders and artificial colors. Dr. Tobias offers only 30 days of return policy.
- Only 30 days return policy
Essential Ingredients: we check every products ingredients list for safety and dosage amount in comparison to published research studies.
Potential Results: we consider the dosage and essential ingredients in each label and then compare them to published studies to measure their potential effectiveness.
Return Policy: we check the products’ return procedure and policy and make sure top brands offer a hassle-free refund.
Overall Score: we take essential ingredients, potential results and return policy scores and rank the top 5 brands based on their average score.
*This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our independent research and customer feedback.
**Results may vary based on individual.
***Disclosure of Material Connection: we only recommend products and services which we believe will add value to the users. However, you should assume the owner of this website and/or blog has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection, to any suppliers of goods and services that may be discussed here and may be compensated for showing ads or recommending products or services or linking to the supplier’s website.
There are numerous scientific papers on the benefits of collagen. We have compiled some of the literature for your convenience.
Sources and Citation:
Section 22.3 Collagen: The Fibrous Proteins of the Matrix https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21582/
Oral Intake of Specific Bioactive Collagen Peptides Reduces Skin Wrinkles and Increases Dermal Matrix Synthesis https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259628887_Oral_Intake_of_Specific_Bioactive_Collagen_Peptides_Reduces_Skin_Wrinkles_and_Increases_Dermal_Matrix_Synthesis
Effects of a nutritional supplement containing collagen peptides on skin elasticity, hydration and wrinkles http://www.jmnn.org/article.asp?issn=2278-1870;year=2015;volume=4;issue=1;spage=47;epage=53;aulast=Borumand
Skin anti-aging strategies https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583892/
Collagen supplementation as a complementary therapy for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: a systematic review http://www.scielo.br/pdf/rbgg/v19n1/1809-9823-rbgg-19-01-00153.pdf
Role of collagen hydrolysate in bone and joint disease. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11071580